What is time management? According to Psychology Today, “Time management is the ability to plan and control how you spend the hours in your day to effectively accomplish your goals. Poor time management can be related to procrastination, as well as problems with self-control.”
We would like you to achieve your goals to the best of your ability here at La Cueva. Time management is very important tool to succeed. This is a very exciting time as you are becoming more independent. However, with independence comes a lot of responsibility. We all learn differently and it is important that you figure out how you learn best and what works for you; but no matter what your learning style is, we all share some common needs when it comes to time management. Every student needs to be savvy when it comes to organization. Organization is going to be key to your success!
How can you be organized?
- Use your agenda: Write down your assignments and include the due date in every class. If you don’t have homework you should even write that down. Some examples of what people do when they complete an assignment are: checking it off or highlighting it. Students that don’t write it down usually forget and start to lose track of what is going in each individual class. If you don’t write it down, you will forget. Our brains cannot remember that much information. Be specific when writing down each assignment. In addition, to your agenda you probably should have a to do list for all the other activities in which you are involved.
- Manage your cell phone: Know how your cell phone affects you. Some students need to put the phone away while doing homework, others may need to turn it off completely, or have a set time they use it when doing homework. If it becomes too much of a distraction because of texting, social media, etc. then you may need to tell your friends your cell phone schedule.
- On a Block Schedule: The homework you get that day, you need to do that day or you will get behind. Also, this allows for the following: time to go ask questions the next day if you don’t understand something; if you have a lot of homework the next night you won’t be stressed out; and it will allow you more time to complete your work. Make time to study every night.
- For Projects and Essay’s: These need to be written down in your agenda. Also, they should be written down on a priority list to help you track everything you need to accomplish. Make a timeline for completing these special projects. If you give yourself a set time to work on these special projects, you will be more successful.
- Use Every Minute Efficiently: If your teacher gives you time to work in class, you should use that time wisely. For example, in the counseling office many of our aides use their time to do homework, while others use that time to socialize. It is important not to waste time. Most of the time there is something productive you could be doing. For example, reviewing notes for upcoming tests.
- Balance: It is important that you don’t take on too much! You need to make sure you have time for family and friends. This is a very important part of being successful.
Final thought: These ideas will help you be responsible and efficient with your time management, thereby creating more free time!