Activities Sponsored by PTA
Practice ACT Testing:
provided two times throughout the year
collects empty ink cartridges & cell phones for recycling
ForBEARance: Online Newsletter
a parent representative is on this school committee
provide this informational tool to parents at Open House
provided throughout the year to staff
Staff Appreciation Luncheon:
celebrate the staff with an awesome luncheon each fall and spring
enlist the help of wonderful LC parents to accomplish the above!
award a letter to Jr. & Sr. students who maintain a 3.5 GPA (view Application)
Academic Letter Criteria:
Jr./Sr. Art Award
Allen Krumm was La Cueva’s first principal. A seasoned veteran of APS, Mr. Krumm was appointed by Superintendent Lillian Barna to open the district’s eleventh high school in 1986. Prior experience included posts as principal of Highland and Del Norte high schools and Director of High School Instruction for the East Area.
Upon Allen Krumm’s retirement in 1989, a scholarship was established in his name to be awarded annually to a graduating senior. This idea originated from Mr. Krumm’s “Principal’s Award,” which recognized a student who demonstrated a potential to succeed and had a financial need. The La Cueva Parent Teacher Association has assumed the responsibility for raising the scholarship funds and for implementing the selection process.
As originally intended by Allen Krumm and his family, the scholarship is to be awarded to a graduating senior on the basis of:
- Demonstration of personal qualities, such as perseverance, initiative and a willingness to work hard
- Financial Benefit
- Potential to be a well-respected representative of La Cueva High School
- Potential to succeed
The scholarship is funded through the LCHS PTA, and the amount of the scholarship(s) can vary from year to year. The amount and number of scholarships available will be announced by the PTA during the spring semester. Each scholarship winner will be notified at the graduation awards assembly. Upon proof of enrollment being received by the LCHS PTA, the scholarship money will be sent to the post-secondary institution of the winners’ choice.
Applications may be obtained in the Counseling Office. Students are required to provide the following:
- Cumulative GPA (7 semesters) verified by the LCHS registrar and a transcript.
- Listing of activities (school, community and employment) and an estimate of the time invested in each activity.
- A paragraph stating the student’s goals and aspirations for the future including school of choice, major or field of study, and other goals (approximately 250 words or less). The student should include a written statement about how the scholarship will benefit them financially. Please do not include any exact financial information. This is only one of several criteria that are evaluated to determine the scholarship award.
- An essay, not to exceed two double spaced typed pages, (less than 750 words) on the instructed topic.
- Two recommendations from adults, other than family members, who are familiar with you and your achievements. One recommendation must come from a LCHS faculty or staff member and one must come from an adult you have worked with in one of your community, employment or extracurricular activities.
- Completed applications are due in the Counseling Office no later than 2:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday in April.
The review committee will consist of school staff and parents. Applications will be reviewed based on the items mentioned in the section above titled “Scholarship Intent.” Applications that do not follow the specified instructions will not be considered. The scholarship recipient will be announced at the Senior Honors Assembly. A representative of the LCHS PTA will notify the individual prior to the assembly.
Incomplete or incorrect application packets will not be considered. Reviewers will look for: correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation; organization; appropriate vocabulary; clear expression; evidence of planning and effort. Only use ONE staple, and submit packets in the order listed on the Application.
DEADLINE: Complete application packets are due in the Counseling Office no later than 2:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday in April.
QUESTIONS? Contact Allen Krumm Committee Chairperson, listed in the PTA section of the LCHS website.